Didcot Railway Centre
From David Hughes:
A visit to the Didcot Railway Centre on 30 June 2013 to see the varied collection of former GWR locomotives. In steam on the short demonstration line was the blue ‘King’ No. 6023 King Edward II. Other exhibits were scattered around the site and the shed building retains its atmosphere from its working days. There is even a Broad Gauge section line from the former GWR days.
Blue King No. 6023 King Edward II running on the short demonstration line at Didcot
6023 King Edward II dates from 1930 and ended up in Barry Scrapyard, where it had a wheel cut through following a derailment. It last steamed on 15 September 2020 and is now a static exhibit, pending a future overhaul.
0-4-2T No. 1466 of 1936. It was originally No. 4866 before the class was renumbered by the GWR. It is Autotrain fitted.
One of a pair of gas turbine locomotives built in 1949 by Brown Boveri of Switzerland. No.18000 is an AIA-AIA and is known as Kerosene Castle!
-6-0PT Pannier Tank No. 3650 of 1939. This loco was sold to a colliery in South Wales before eventually arriving at Didcot. Also visible in the shed is castle Class 5051 Earl Bathurst (originally Drysllwyn castle in 1937).
Black and white image of 2-6-0 No. 5322 of 1917, with 7808 Cookham Manor and 5051 Earl Bathurst also in the shed.
1466 in BR black livery and 3650 inside the shed at Didcot
8 Auto coach and Pannier Tank 3738
Broad Gauge replica ‘Fire Fly’, built in 2005 to a design of Daniel Gooch. The 7ft gauge 2-2-2 locomotive ran in service from 1840 to 1870.
GWR railcar No. 22, built in 1940 and powered by twin AEC motors. This is one of 3 preserved auto cars.
2-6-0 No. 5322 inside the main shed
Auto coach W231, built by BR(W) in 1951 to a Hawkesworth design. Bachmann make of model of this car.