Bescot Open Day May 1990
A visit to the Bescot Open Day on 6 May 1990 produced a good gathering of diesel locomotives, both current and preserved. Being a large freight depot, there were representatives from most classes on display. Some locos had also been specially named on that day. A varied collection of liveries as well were on display.
Large logo 47050 with a container train heading north through Bescot.
20072 leads a track-train out of Bescot yard.
37059 in two tone grey Railfreight Distribution livery.
BRUSH Type 2 A1A 31146. This carried the name ‘Brush Vetran’ when in Civil Engineers sector service to reflect its build date of 1959.
Brush Sultzer Type 2 D7672 ‘Tamworth Castle’ in its two tone green livery. Built in 1967, it was classed by BR as a Class 25 No. 25322, and later as 25912. This locomotive is currently awaiting restoration at the Churnet Valley Railway.
Class 37 No. 37239 in its two tone grey Coal Sector livery. Originally D6939 when built in 1964, it later became 37239 and then 37332. It also carried the name ‘The Coal Merchant’s Association of Scotland’.
31423 ‘Jerome J Jerome’ in Mainline livery. Originally D5621 when built in 1960, it was eventually scrapped in 2009.
A1A Class 31 No. 31568, formerly D5855, having just been named ‘The Engineman’s Fund’ at the Bescot Open Day on 6th May 1990.